Bipolar Disorder is a mood disorder that causes extreme shifts in mood, energy, and activity levels. These changes, referred to as episodes, result in extreme energized “ups” and sad, hopeless “downs”.
Common symptoms of highs (manic episodes) may include:
- Feelings of euphoria or extreme excitement
- Excessive energy (despite very little sleep)
- Risky behavior (impulsive, dangerous acts)
Common symptoms of lows (depressive episodes) may include:
- Little interest in things you usually enjoy
- Sluggishness, low energy
- Difficulty sleeping – or too much sleeping
- Difficulty with concentration and memory
There are many variations in the course and symptoms of Bipolar Disorder. At Union Square Practice we can help diagnose whether the symptoms are obvious or subtle. and provide a treatment plan to help people live more stable, productive lives. Psychotherapy, medications, or a combination of the two can be very effective.